hjblgxrk

Moderator: Angel

brygar
Contributor
Contributor

Toshiba 62HM14 Picture turns off

Post by brygar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:41 am

I just replaced the lamp on my 62HM14. It will run for a while, then the picture will turn off. I have to unplug and plug in the set several times before it will come back on. Does anyone know what's going on?
Thanks,

Eddie

Re: Toshiba 62HM14 Picture turns off

Post by Eddie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 am

Might be the ballast.. You ever have this issue before?

Is there any color distortion? Loud humming sound? Those might mean it's the color wheel.

brygar wrote:I just replaced the lamp on my 62HM14. It will run for a while, then the picture will turn off. I have to unplug and plug in the set several times before it will come back on. Does anyone know what's going on?
Thanks,
--
Eddie

brygar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brygar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:34 pm

There is no color distortion or loud humming sound. It simply turns off. We still have sound, but the picture goes black. After we unplug it and plug it back in, it will eventually reset itself and come back on. (although it's very annoying.)

Eddie wrote:Might be the ballast.. You ever have this issue before?

Is there any color distortion? Loud humming sound? Those might mean it's the color wheel.

brygar wrote:I just replaced the lamp on my 62HM14. It will run for a while, then the picture will turn off. I have to unplug and plug in the set several times before it will come back on. Does anyone know what's going on?
Thanks,

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm

brygar,
Does the actual lamp turn off or does the screen just go black with back light still on?

It may be a ballast issue as the Toshiba model you have has a common ballast failure. If the backlight is still on when this happens, your DMD board is starting to fail.

Let us know how it goes.

brygar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brygar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm

The lamp actually turns off. Do you know what it intails to change the balast?

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 am

A good guide for a Samsung ballast is located here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp47-00033a.php

The Toshiba sets are very similar to the Samsungs internally. It's not too difficult to do if you are handy with a screw driver. Before you order a ballast, I would open the TV up and check the color wheel to make sure that it can spin freely and that it is not physically damaged. Then if all is well, I would order a ballast.

That would be my first step in diagnosing the set.

I would tell you to test for 320-380V going to the ballast from the power supply, however, since the TV turns on for a few minutes this means that it is getting the voltage and that your power supply is working properly.

Let us know how it goes!

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

hjblgxrk

Post by Wimlok » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”