I hit power on the TV

Lamp
Lamp
Stand by / Temp
Lamp
Lamp
Lamp
.... repeat Lamp

The lamp light blinks on/off for about 30 sec - 1 min then no lights at all. After about 2 mins TV turns itself off.
I can see that the Lamp is on in back, also I can hear the color wheel spin as it starts up (as I always have) then it goes silent, also as usual. I can see that the screen has 'lit up' to 'black;' this is very subtle and not easily detectable in daylight. But no actual picture.

Any knowledge would be appreciated

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung Won't Turn On

Post by ovadoggvo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Rez,
Does your TV actually stay on for a while with no picture? Do you have audio during this time?

Does this happen on all inputs?

REZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Ova,

Yes the TV sits on (no picture, just dim lit black), and I can see the lamp is on in the back.

When the TV worked, if you turned it off it would go to the dimly lit 'Black' picuture before it turned off; similar to a projector, the picture goes off but the lamp stays on with the fan. Now it sits in that state for about 2 minutes and then turns off.

No sound

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 pm

REZ,
Unfortunately I would have to tell you that my first instinct tells me your DMD Board has gone bad. A very common problem on these TV sets after about 4 years. Good news is that a website by the name of Discount-Merchant.com has started to sell these high demand parts at extremely affordable prices... here is the solution to your problem:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

Don't quote me on this but 80% chance that this will resolve your issues. You will need to take your colorwheel out of your current light engine and put it into this one as the engine pictured doesn't have the color wheel installed.

A great deal at oly $199... you can't lose! A DMD board from samsung is $700 and the light engine is around $950.. D-M is a lifesaver for many people these days.

REZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Thank Ova,

I read on another forum that a person with the same issue was told it was the digital board.
This is only 70 at DM.

Any chance its this board?
How can you tell which one?

And I should take back what I said about the no sound, I've always run the sound optically str8 through the stereo, so even though I hooked up some RCA's to test the sound I not 100% sure if the set up is right (and I can't get to any menus to check since I can't see).

If I go with the DMD board and put my color wheel in it, will I have to calibrate it?

thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 am

REZ,
I think the DMD board is most likely at fault because of the complete lack of picture. The Digital Board is also a possibility if you want to start there for $70. It's difficult to tell in these situations because in order to really diagnose the Digital Board, you would need at least a picture to show up.

DMD board is the last board before the light source displace the picture. It is responsible for sending power on / off signal to the lamp driver (ballast) and color wheel. The digital board is responsible for digital video processing using the DNIe chip on the board. On sets with a digital ATSC tuner, the tuner is on the digital board. Sets that have an analog tuner, the turner sits on the analog board.

Please let us know what you decide to do. If you don't know, buy both boards because they seem to be selling like hot cakes and I don't know how many these guys have to sell but let me tell you... Whatever it is, it's not enough. DMD board and Digital boards at that price is something a service center would love to stock.

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

lxfrpacd

Post by Wimlok » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:21 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”