epvyrbdy

Moderator: Angel

mrkorky
Contributor
Contributor

TV won't start - audio of it starting

Post by mrkorky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:11 am

I have a Samsung 50" DLP TV Model #HLT5075SX/XAA that won't turn on.
Listen to hear what noises it is making during it trying to start up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeF38E0bZ84
Background:
About a year ago the TV wouldn't always turn on, got progressively worse, then it stopped. Replaced the bulb and it worked again.
After about 3 months it did the same thing - replaced the bulb under warranty - it worked again.
About 2 months ago the clarity of the colors started to get worse - especially the dark colors - looked very bad. Also, the TV started making noise that could be heard from sitting on the couch about 10 ft away from it. It sounded like the bearings of a fan going out. Also, the TV once again began to not turn on all the time. We could always tell if it wasn't going to turn on because you would hear initial click with an almost buzzing/beeping sound as it tried to turn on. After sitting for a few minutes, it would always turn on after a few tries. Yesterday, the TV shut off while it was on which has never happened. The audio could be heard briefly, then it shut off with the 3 lights flashing. It will no longer turn on at all. It just keeps retrying - eventually ending with the 3 lights flashing like it's the bulb again.
Bottom Line:
Based on the audio I've uploaded and having replaced the bulb just about 9 months ago - what do you suggest me trying to replace?
With the noise & picture quality degrading I was thinking color wheel. Then again, with it not always turning on and making the buzzing/beeping kind of noise maybe it's the ballast. I just don't know anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: TV won't start - audio of it starting

Post by grayfox » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Hello, this is definitely a colorwheel issue, after listening to the youtube audio. Sometimes it is going to act up and some times it wont, but given the color distortion I am 90% sure you need to replace your colorwheel!
ImageUnit Foxhound

mrkorky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mrkorky » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:35 am

Replaced the color wheel tonight. It still isn't working though. It definitely sounds better than it did before. It now clicks once, spins up, and then if you are looking in the back you can see it try to light up for a second or two and then it stops. It repeats that process for a few times and then flashes all three lights again. Any idea's? I'm already on the 3rd lamp in the 3 years we've had it. Could it be a bad ballast even if I can see it attempting to light in the back? Thanks in advance for your help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:47 pm

looks like you got the double trouble! most of these Samsung TVs need the replacement of the colorwheel and ballast at some point during their life time, this to me (the clicking) sounds like a ballast issue... :roll:
It is rare but not unheard of , that both parts short out at the same time! :cry:
ImageUnit Foxhound

mrkorky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mrkorky » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 am

Replaced the ballast tonight. Still not getting any picture and it is acting exactly the same. Clicks, spins up, in the back it looks like something is trying to light (although nothing in the front), and then it stops and repeats the process a few more times. At this point is it possible it's the lamp too or something else more serious? The lamp looks fine - no dark spots or anything. At this point i'm about ready to just part it out and cut my losses. I'm so frustrated with it and literally have no more money to put into it.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:14 pm

hmm :cry: im thinking more like my previous post, the symptoms seem to point at both the colorwheel and ballast, but before you spend more money on a colorwheel, try opening up the tv and dusting off every corner, fan and if possible run a visual inspection of the colorwheel, give it a clean with a lint free cloth and make sure it can spin freely and without making any noise... 8-)

then try booting it up, hopefully its just dusty, youd be surprised how many times this has fixed a clients TV!!! :lol:
and it is highly unlikely (no matter how clear it looks) that both components would fail! :roll:

let me know how it goes...
ImageUnit Foxhound

mrkorky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mrkorky » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks for your reply. I had actually replaced the color wheel first with one from DM that had the housing as well. That made all of the strange noises go away, but it still didn't turn on. That's when I tried a brand new ballast for it. After the new ballast, it still goes thru all of the motions of turning on but won't give me any picture and ends each time with all three led's flashing. It's just weird because in a dark room when you look in thru the back it looks like it's attempting to light the lamp because you can here the click of the ballast and you can see it kind of have a little light for just a few seconds but then it stops and flashes the three led's and starts all over again.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

I would try another ballast just to be sure, did you replace the new one yourself? if so double check the connections, it could be arching somewhere else, DM has ballasts really cheap...
ImageUnit Foxhound

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

epvyrbdy

Post by Wimlok » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”