Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The hip-hop subculture and its Martial arts influence
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Oooh! Hey-ho; kiddies! Let's learn about the hip-hop culture! The following are two topics on which both are based on the hip-hop subculture. READ! READ!

The four elements of hip-hop

Now the average hip-hop fan nowadays does not know what these are. They are the foundation upon which the hip-hop subculture was built. It is the essence of hip-hop. It separates the REAL hip-hoppers from the hollywood sellout/one-hit wonders that are in it solely for the money and disgrace the art form that is known as Hip-hop. I'll explain the four elements of hip-hop in a very general fashion, but any of you are welcome to come and elaborate or add in anything I may have missed.

The four elements are as such:

1.) B-boy
Is also known as breakdancing. Its origins srpring from both disco and a brazillian martial art called "capoeira". B-boying/breakdancing involves a great athletic ability and people of relatively fit statures do this.

2.) Turntablism (DJ-ing, or DeeJaying)
This consists of turntables, scratching, and melding/sampling one song with another. A Deejay's skill is shown when he not only samples hip-hop songs, but uses lurics or beats from other genres as well. Of course, it has to sound good.

3.) Graffiti art.
Consists of eccentic and complex handwriting on walls or figures/people with exaggerated facial and body features; akin to charicaturing, yet with a more urban flavour to it.

4.) Emceeing.
Emceeing, or MC-ing is when a rapper (also known as an emcee/MC) does his thing. He "spits out rhymes" and delivers a considerable creativity. am emcee's skill shines when he freestyles. This involves quick thought and a sharp wit.

Again, feel free to add anything. My discussion for you is as such: How has the "hollywoodization" of hip-hop affacted these four elements? has it tarnished hip-hop and made it just plain stupid, or has it benefitted hip-hop as a whole?

Martial arts and its influence in the hip-hop subculture

When one thinks of Martial arts, they think of those old kung-fu movies from the 1970's and not anything conneted to hip-hop culture. Martial arts have indeed been a major part of hip-hop.

Although not an major factor in furthering hip-hop, music-wise; martial arts have been used in reference in various hip-hop artists' songs, or emcee names. DeeJays have also been known to use old lines or sound effects, etc. for old kung fu movies.

The martial arts have been a major factor in developing breakdancing. A breakdancer was interviewed in the early 80's stating the brazillian art Capoeira was a major influence in the dance style, along with tap and jazz dance.

Hip-hop has also managed to advertise and work with things related to martial arts. Various music videos show people fighting in chinese martial arts, and a martial arts movie called "Volcano High" is being dubbed by an all hop-hop celebrity cast.

My discussion for you is this: How are martial arts evolving, and how does that affect the change in hip-hop culture?

(Apologies; the martial arts/hip-hop rant was rather short on my part)

Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

No takers? Too long of a read?

The Wonders of Magic Shell

I would respond, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to hip hop...

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I am more into rock myself.

hmm, no takers then.

Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

anyone?

Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

i'm lazy, and don't like Hip Hop sorry

well i know brazilian fighting is a style that looks like breakdancing. they trian to those who hit drumbs and one chants. this a form of hippop in a nutshell. I know that in japan those who performed music and tribal dance decided to hide a defense stlye with there movements. that way they are be taught something that is graceful like a dance but we you watch it it is hidden attacks within it and they do this to dancing, singer and to drum beats so its like a form of hiphop and asian culture clash. So yeah hip-hop can be called a style almost, but mostly breakdancing is breakfighting style.

BTW i love volcano high but MTV ruined it with the soundtrak new edits and crappy voices that dont even make the story make since the oingal was better and an awrad winninfg film. MTV ruined it.

i think it really has no correlation

weird...

The hip-hop subculture and its Martial arts influence