ktvcrfpt

Moderator: Angel

hypocrisyB
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLS5087W strobing. Need help.

Post by hypocrisyB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:25 pm

I was having a problem with my screen flickering or "strobing". The whole screen would just flicker. (Dynamic black is turned off) I read in some places that it could be a weak ballast or a bulb that's on it's way out.

I replaced the bulb, everything was fine for about a month. Now, I'm getting a flicker again but it's on the right half of the screen. Any thoughts? It's easier to see with lighter colors on the screen. It starts once the TV is on for a while. It starts and stops randomly...it could happen if the TV is on for an hour or 8 hours..

I replaced the ballast for good measure and it still does it. I've done a ton of searching and I cannot find the solution to my specific problem.

Any thoughts?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Samsung HLS5087W strobing. Need help.

Post by ChubbsTech » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello hypocrisyB.
Its sound likes a digital video board problem, but before we draw to any conclusion, have you taken a look inside of the TV when it starts to flicker and verified if the lamp is actually flickering? There is a rare case with the digital video board that tends to have a defective circuit that might cause the image to flicker, how ever it doesn’t affect the actual lamp. Dose the flickering also occurs when you have a DVD or another external component hooked up?
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

hypocrisyB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hypocrisyB » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm

Sorry for the delayed response...I've tried a few other things to fix it...

Basically the TV flickers on all inputs and the menu for the TV flickers too. I picked up and slammed the TV on the entertainment center and the flicker stopped for about 2 weeks (Weird I know)

It recently came back, every time I pick it up and slam it the problem stops but now it comes back after a few minutes...but the point is every time it's slammed the flicker DOES stop.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Post by ChubbsTech » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello again hypocrisyB.
It sounds like you either have a problem of cold soldering or a internal connector issue.
Let me explain both.
A cold soldering problem is when a circuit on a board gets heated up by the high temperature of the internal components inside of the tv (the lamp alone reaches 500 f ) and the solder melts causing the circuit to move from its original position. Once the heat dissipates (the divice is turnd off) the solder cools off and becomes hard again, how ever since the circuit has been moved there might be a short circuit, there for causing the flickering. So when you hit the tv the circuit is moved and makes contact again.
The other is that one of the connectors ( from board to board ), is loose or has corrosion.
To determine where to look for these possible problems, observe when you Tv starts to flicker. Peek inside of your tv to detriment is the lamp is actually flickering or if just the video.
If the lamp is ok, I recommend you look in to the DMD board, digital & analog boards.
If the lamp is flickering then the possible suspects would be the ballast, the lamp or the power supply board. Double check the ballast that is getting its 380 volts from the power supply, for the lamp the only real way to fix it is to replace it.
If you detect any corrosion in ant connector you can use regular alcohol and a clean cloth to remove it.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

hypocrisyB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hypocrisyB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:14 am

Hmm...well the actual lamp isn't strobing. I tried checking on samsungparts.com for the DMD board and I don't see one on there...maybe I'm just overlooking it but it doesn't look like they carry them anymore.

The lamp is new and I replaced the ballast already...I don't think it's either of those because they're new and because the whole screen isn't flickering, just part of it.

I appreciate your help. I'll double check the connections as you suggested and I'll go from there.

hypocrisyB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hypocrisyB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 am

http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail ... rch_model=

I found this for the 6187w. Anyone know where I can look for the 50" version? Or will this one work for my TV and the samsungparts.com website is just wrong?

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

ktvcrfpt

Post by Wimlok » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”