sxarnqzx

Moderator: Angel

bradfordboogie
Contributor
Contributor

HL-S4666W Old lamp works, new lamp doesn't

Post by bradfordboogie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm

The original lamp on my Samsung DLP, about 4-5 years old, was starting to fail, so I ordered a new lamp and tried to replace it. The new lamp seems to install correctly, but when I try to turn the TV on with the new lamp installed, it makes a whirring or humming noise which I take to be a fan or the color wheel, and the TV turns itself off. If I put the old lamp back in, the TV works, even though the picture is a little dim, and the noise is still there. When I turn the TV off, I can still hear the noise for 5-6 seconds, then it stops.

I've read up on ballast issues, and I don't think it's that. There are no clicking sounds. I'm afraid the color wheel has been damaged somehow by all the jostling while taking lamps out and putting them back in. The colors look OK, though. But why would the old lamp work and the new one not?

Thanks for your help!

Mark Bradford

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HL-S4666W Old lamp works, new lamp doesn't

Post by darkart77 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

There can be a couple of things here. Is the humming more like an electrical humming? or more like a mechanical humming. To get closer to your answer let me explain: the color wheel should provoke an extra vibration, the humming could be caused by the ballast, not being able to produce enough voltage to your "NEW" lamp. however it still might be able to light up the "OLD" lamp, mainly because the old lamp would have less mercury and therefore needs lees voltage.

bradfordboogie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bradfordboogie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 pm

I do feel a vibration, and there is a "spinning up" sound when it starts and a "spinning down" sound when it stops 5 seconds or so after I turn the TV off. That is, the pitch of the sound rises and falls at the beginning and end, like a motor spinning up and down.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

did you retry your old lamp? if it works again then I would say you bought ether the wrong lamp or a cheap nock off. If the old lamp doesn't work at all and you still hear that sound it could be the color wheel.

normaly the older lamps have more a gap between the two leads with mercery gas in between and as they get older the distance grows so nomaly It's easyer for a ballast to light a new lamp. But I have seen cheap nock off lamps on ebay that don't work. you ship them back to the seller and they say nothing is wrong with them and ship them back. then you go out and buy a name brand lamp and it works. Only thing to do then is to start an paypal dispute to get your money back. Thats if you bought on off ebay.

bradfordboogie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bradfordboogie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Jason1976 wrote:did you retry your old lamp? if it works again then I would say you bought ether the wrong lamp or a cheap nock off. If the old lamp doesn't work at all and you still hear that sound it could be the color wheel.

normaly the older lamps have more a gap between the two leads with mercery gas in between and as they get older the distance grows so nomaly It's easyer for a ballast to light a new lamp. But I have seen cheap nock off lamps on ebay that don't work. you ship them back to the seller and they say nothing is wrong with them and ship them back. then you go out and buy a name brand lamp and it works. Only thing to do then is to start an paypal dispute to get your money back. Thats if you bought on off ebay.
It's a Samsung replacement lamp with enclosure that I got from Discount-Merchant.com. I didn't get it on Ebay. The item number and description is Samsung BP96-01472A Replacement Lamp Enclosure (BP9601472A).

The old lamp is in there now, and it works. Just looks kinda dim and shut itself off the other day, so I tried to install the new one, which I bought back in October when the old lamp started acting up. Since then I've just been waiting for the old one to fail. I didn't hear the noise until after I tried to put the new lamp in a couple of times.

If it's the ballast, why don't I hear a clicking sound? If it's the color wheel, why do the colors look normal?

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I am guessing you bought a bad lamp. you should call discount merchant and ask them.

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

sxarnqzx

Post by Wimlok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:21 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”