dvpwznpio

Moderator: Angel

jbow

Samsung DLP vibration sound

Post by jbow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:38 am

I replaced the color wheel in my 3 1/2 year old HLR4667W with no problems. The replacement part (L3 chassis) was the BP96-00674A. It ran fine for about a month, at which time the 'zzzzzz' sound on shutdown began again. After another couple of weeks, the 'zzzzzz' sound remained at all times the set was on - just as it had with the original color wheel. I replaced that color wheel with a second new one, with similar results - the sound is continuous while the set is powered on, and sounds very much like a mechanical vibration. I also replaced the lamp with the Samsung specified replacement, purchased from J&J International.

On the assumption that getting two defective new color wheels was unlikely, I began looking for some mechanical reason for the vibration sound. I noted that a slight pressure on the lamp housing, which in turn puts a slight pressure on the color wheel cover, will cause the vibration sound to stop while that pressure is being applied. I also noted there is a slight gap - no more than 1/32 inch - between the color wheel cover and color wheel housing when assembled. I don't know if that gap should be there, or if it might be the cause of the vibration. Try as I might, I can't get the gap to close.

The picture is great, and there are no problems other than the 'zzzzzzzz' sound. Should I consider a new CW housing and/or cover? What about the fans? Any thoughts and/or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help -

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung DLP vibration sound

Post by CoachMike » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Check to see if you have installed the spacer when you installed your color wheel. The gap you are describing sounds like the area that the Black rubber form fitted spacer goes ?? It fits around the entire edge of the color wheel housing and when installed correctly fits snuggly down onto the base of the light engine area like a gasket for a water pump ?? Hope this works.

jbow

Re: Samsung DLP vibration sound

Post by jbow » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 pm

CoachMike wrote:Check to see if you have installed the spacer when you installed your color wheel. The gap you are describing sounds like the area that the Black rubber form fitted spacer goes ?? It fits around the entire edge of the color wheel housing and when installed correctly fits snuggly down onto the base of the light engine area like a gasket for a water pump ?? Hope this works.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have verified the black rubber form fitting gasket fully encloses the color wheel housing snugly as designed, with no crimping or folding. As you suggest, this gasket fits around the edge of the cw housing, where it interfaces with the upper section that contains the color wheel, and the fixed lower section. That gasket seals between the two, and is secured with two screws. The very slight gap I'm seeing is between the cw housing, and what I'm referring to as the color wheel cover - the plate identified as "housing - lamp - bot", secured by 3 screws which go into the cw housing, and into which the lamp housing retaining screw is secured. There is a plastic spacer embedded into the cw housing, where the cw housing attaches to the cw cover. This spacer has 'ribs' radiating from the hole through which the color wheel is visible. The cw cover, in turn, has a rubber gasket embedded into it, surrounding the cw viewing hole. I'm thinking the 'ribs' in the plastic cw housing spacer are possibly not aligning exactly with the corresponding 'imprints' in the rubber gasket in the cw cover, thereby potentially causing the cw cover to stand off slightly. I am disassembling and reassembling again to see if I can get a better alignment and close the gap, even though the three alignment posts in the cw housing spacer allow little or no maneuvering. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on other potential culprits, even though the loud, high-pitched 'zzzzzzz' is classically described as a color wheel issue?

thanks again -

PaulfUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

dvpwznpio

Post by PaulfUp » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”