miwfdjsg

Moderator: Angel

tyderium
Contributor
Contributor

HL50A650 Flashing, Strobing, Bright to Dim problem

Post by tyderium » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:08 am

I have been having an intermittent issue where the lamp dims and brightens on and offf every second for a period of a minute to five minutes or longer and then stop. Descriptions of the same problems are also on these other forum posts with no cler resolutions.

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... f=10&t=981

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=2083

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1886

The flashing is not overly noticeable when watching TV or games, you can only pick it up on either Blue backgrounds like a local news background colors, Violet/light Purple backgrounds, and especially white backgrounds. I use my TV as my computer monitor and let me tell you, the web uses a lot of light and white colors on webpages, because you feel like you're in a slow motion rave when the bright to dim, flashing, strobing, whatever you want to call it begins. Here's the run down on what has happened so far on my TV.

Event 1) OEM bulb dies on me after 1.5 years of use. Not doing a lot of research I just did a search on the web for the bulb part number and bought a bulb for about $100. I replaced the bulb and the housing with the new replacement parts. I tossed the old bulb and housing.

Event 2) New bulb dies a few weeks later. I called a local, not samsung certified, repair place and they give me a new osram bulb. They pointed out the cheap generic issues with the replacement bulb I bought online so I now have learned all about cheap bulbs. They did not have a new oem bulb housing on hand so they just replaced the bulb in the housing I had from the cheap bulb.

Event 3) Bulb #3 dies a few months later after dimming quite a lot and doing a slight version of the flashing, strobing I am experiencing now. I call the same repair place and they test it out again, they replace the ballast and give me a new bulb. Still using the same bulb housing.

Event 4) Bulb #4 is going strong for about 8 months but still having issues with the strobing, flashing, dim to bright, problem.

I definitely have a good bulb going now, at least it appears that way, but the strobing is driving me a little batty at times. It's definitely distracting web surfing, doing google searches, or even while typing on this forum post.

The problem happens on all sources no mattter if it's VGA, HDMI, or Cable.

When the "strobing" starts, I can visually notice the light on the bulb itself strobe though the bulb panel on the side of the TV. I also notice a low slght buzzing noise when the screen gets brighter during the strobing. My thoughts are the noise is from the bulb or ballast board.

I do not think it is the color wheel, there is no whiring noise or flickering happening. The strobing lasts for one full second on dim, one full second on bright. I've seen color wheel flickering on some youtube videos and it's defeinitely not that.

i'm thinking the problem may be caused by the replacement housing, it was different in shape than the oem one, to bad I tossed it not thinking I might need it. It still clipped in just fine but it just seemed a little cheaper. I was thinking about ordering an offical oem replacement bulb with housing from DM but I would like to get my hands on just the oem housing to test my theory and save some green.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue is that is causing the problem or where I can get just the oem housing for the bulb? Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks to all.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL50A650 Flashing, Strobing, Bright to Dim problem

Post by grayfox » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 am

Hello,
I really doubt the housing can cause any of the symptoms you describe :(
Also Osram or Philips Lamps should not be going out so soon! I think the problem since the begining was with a defect in the ballast I have seen this before, I would replace the ballast, you can find then online for under 100$ and try it out, :roll: if not always replace it for a brand new OEM lamp (I have done this at the sponsor site :twisted: ) at discount-merchant.com
ImageUnit Foxhound

tyderium
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyderium » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28 pm

I agree that the problem in the beginning with dying bulbs was the ballast but you think I should replace the ballast again? It was already replaced once 8 months ago.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:26 pm

so the lamp and ballast are both 8 months old. hm. :?:
do you know if you got a genuine Samsung ballast? :shock: there must be a reason this ballast went bad right off the bat and I want to discard the power supply... did your tech tell you why he replaced the ballast?
ImageUnit Foxhound

tyderium
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyderium » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 am

They replaced the ballast because the bulbs kept dying. How would I be able to tell if the ballast is OEM or not?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 pm

hmmm... did they leave your original lying around? :roll:
ImageUnit Foxhound

tyderium
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyderium » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 am

they did the work at their shop, I didn't ask for the old parts

TexasVB

Post by TexasVB » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:31 pm

We have a similar issue with our TV as well. Over a year ago it started having white flashes around the images on the screen. We ordered and replaced the bulb and it stopped. Then it started up again so my husband added an additional fan to the back which fixed the problem. About 4 weeks ago it started happening again and getting worse so my husband added an additional 3 fans to the TV which seem to fix this problem. For some reason it is not working anymore but the TV never shuts off or goes black, the white just gets so bad that you can hardly see the picture. Could this be the bulb or ballast?
Thanks
TexasVB

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Hello texas!
Like weve been PM'ing I really hope it is not the DMD board overheating because that would be a complete light engine/optical block replacement :shock:
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

miwfdjsg

Post by SuefUp » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”