miufrfmy

Moderator: Angel

nmvca
Contributor
Contributor

HLS4266 shutdown problem

Post by nmvca » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:15 am

I have a HLS4266W, about 4 years hold. Recently it started shutting off. I already opened it, cleaned it, and replaced the lamp.
Here is what happens.
1) When it comes on, it works perfectly. Great color, everything looks fine. This usually happens when it has been unused for a while (e.g. overnight)
2) Sometimes goes on for hours, others just minutes. It then shuts off. A number of things happen.
3) I can usually turn it on, but it stays on for much less time, usually 1 minute or two. I can turn it on a third time but stays on even less.
4) After two/three restarts it will not turn on again for a while. It enters a mode where a number of things happen.
5) It tries to turn itself on, I can hear the click, does the starting chime, but the lamp or sound do not work.
It does a hight pitch noise that sounds like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtH2YUk ... re=related

If I try to turn it off, it will turn itself on again. Keeps doing this over and over again, I have to unplug it for it to stop.
6) If I let it alone for a while it starts again. Beautifull picture, no high-pitched noise, everything great. After a while it shuts off and we are back to 3)

Any suggestions on what this may be? It looks temperature related, so it could be the temp sensor. But why would it make the high-pitched
noise? Isn't this a color wheel problem? But if the color wheel is broken, how come it works perfectly sometimes for hours? Is there any chance
that the color wheel might "heat up" and shut down the whole thing? And how would that explain its "stubborness" in trying to reboot itself. Could it be that it is one of the boards? I am a bit confused and would greatly appreciate any help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLS4266 shutdown problem

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Hello,
After looking at the video and reading your explanation I have to suggest you try a new ballast! How many times have you replaced the Lamp? I am almost certain replacing your ballast will have your TV up and running ;)
ImageUnit Foxhound

nmvca
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmvca » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I replaced the lamp once. Do you happen to know the part # for the ballast?

Thanks for the help

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm

hmmm only once? :| well it still sounds like the Ballast is arching and does not ignite the lamp... :idea:
take a look at the link below, your TV model is listed as a compatible model for the ballast! hope this helps.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/produc ... 00033a.htm
ImageUnit Foxhound

nmvca
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmvca » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I read somewhere that, when the ballast fails, it does multiple clicks as it attempts to
turn the lamp on. I forgot to say that this is not what I hear. I hear a single click and
that's it. It is only when I power down the set (on my remote) that it goes through the
restart cycle again.

Would this change your assessment or does it still sound like ballast to you?

Thanks

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes there are many symptoms a malfunctioning ballast can do, and unless there was any discoloration / distortion before it went out, I would try the ballast first... :?
ImageUnit Foxhound

nmvca
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmvca » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

The problem was with the color wheel. Put in a new one and the TV has been working fine since then.
Changed the ballast as well, just to be sure.

However. the colors are not as good as the ones I used to have before it broke.
In dark imagea areas the color is sometimes wrong, e.g. dark green spots on a black jacket.
The picture is certainly watchable, but the quality is not as good. Tried changing the color
controls but nothing made it go away.

Is this something that happens when the color wheel is replaced? Is there something that can be done about it?
Could it be the ballast? Should I put the old one back in?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm

hmmm maybe the jumper, take a look at the link below (scroll down to the "jumper" part) and read the explanation, if this doesn't help please advise! :oops:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/produc ... 1&CartID=0
ImageUnit Foxhound

JackfUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

miufrfmy

Post by JackfUp » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:23 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”