alobulfrk

Moderator: Angel

Francis
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried everything with my Samsung HL-S5087W

Post by Francis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 am

My friend gave me his Samsung HL-S5087W DLP tv for free because it wasn't working. He showed me the problem with it when I went to pick it up. It would turn on and you could see the screen so the lamp was working initially, but then it would shut off after less than a minute and the three front lights would flash. Awhile back he had broken the door switch but he taped it closed so the tv still continued to work.
So brought it home and looked into DLP tv's. I replaced the lamp and it still didn't work. But at this point the lamp didn't even turn on at all. I even installed the old lamp and still nothing. So it went from turning on and seeing an image to no image at all. So then I replaced the color wheel. The color wheel that was in there looked in good shape which scared me. The power connector going to the little board that powers the wheel did look a little damaged so I took it to work and got it re-soldered.

Anyway, it still didn't work. I would hear a slight whining noise coming out of the back, but I could here the color wheel spinning and it sounded fine. So I checked the power supply and the ballast. Aside from lots of dust, they looked in good shape. I didn't see or smell any component that looked damaged. But I bought a new ballast and replaced it. Sure enough, it still doesn't work. I have checked every single connector inside there. Obviously the power supply is working unless the circuitry that powers the ballast is bad. The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the CPU that is keeping it from signaling the ballast to turn on. I really am running out of ideas here. I have checked every single connector and wire. Everything else looks good. Can anybody help? Thanks very much! :evil:

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: I have tried everything with my Samsung HL-S5087W

Post by ChubbsTech » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello Francis.
So you have already replaced lamp, ballast, and still nothing. My first question is, have you reset the lamp timer, if you don’t know what that is let me explain. Inside the tv there is a small program that keeps track how many hours the lamp is turn on, when it reaches a predetermined limit it will shut the TV off for safety reasons. How ever is you installed the new lamp and haven’t reset the lamp timer, the TV will still think it has the old lamp, thus shutting the TV or in you case preventing it from turning on.
Here is a link for an early thread that includes the instruction fro resetting on most Samsung TVs.
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1050

How ever if that doesn’t fixes your problem there might be an issue with the slight whining noise.
When you hear that is normally the color wheel or a fan that are malfunctioning, to discard the fans try placing a house fan where the lamp is located on the back and see if it turns on, if it dose then a fan is not cooling enough the internal lamp.
The other probable cause of that noise is the color wheel that may be misplaced from its central bearing and casing the wheel to make contact with the housing just enogh to not spin at a minimum RMPs that the DMD requires to keep the TV on, otherwise it will shut it of.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Francis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Francis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 pm

NightKid wrote:Hello Francis.
So you have already replaced lamp, ballast, and still nothing. My first question is, have you reset the lamp timer, if you don’t know what that is let me explain. Inside the tv there is a small program that keeps track how many hours the lamp is turn on, when it reaches a predetermined limit it will shut the TV off for safety reasons. How ever is you installed the new lamp and haven’t reset the lamp timer, the TV will still think it has the old lamp, thus shutting the TV or in you case preventing it from turning on.
Here is a link for an early thread that includes the instruction fro resetting on most Samsung TVs.

How ever if that doesn’t fixes your problem there might be an issue with the slight whining noise.
When you hear that is normally the color wheel or a fan that are malfunctioning, to discard the fans try placing a house fan where the lamp is located on the back and see if it turns on, if it dose then a fan is not cooling enough the internal lamp.
The other probable cause of that noise is the color wheel that may be misplaced from its central bearing and casing the wheel to make contact with the housing just enogh to not spin at a minimum RMPs that the DMD requires to keep the TV on, otherwise it will shut it of.
Good luck.

Thanks for the help, night kid. I bet it would work. However, the lamp does not turn on at all so there is no way for me to even see the menu screen when it pops up. It the menu supposed to be able to show up even with the lamp not turning on? I really wish there was a manual way to reset the lamp instead of it only being through software. Do you know if there is? Thanks again!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Post by ChubbsTech » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Hello again Francis.
You don’t need the tv turn on to reset the lamp timer, first of all read the instructions that are provided on the link I posted above.
Here is the link again.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Francis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Francis » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks Nightkid. But yep I reread the instructions and tried it several times. No menu displays at all. Do these tv's have a way of displaying a menu even with the lamp not turned on. Or do you know of a manual way to reset it on the CPU? I really don't know what else to do with this thing.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Does the tv make the start up sound?

Francis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Francis » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Jason1976 wrote:Does the tv make the start up sound?
Yes it makes the start up sound. You can here the fans going and the lights on the CPU are on. There is a very slight whirring sound which I believe is the color wheel. I actually replaced the color wheel and did some resoldering on the circuit board that keeps the color wheel spinning. It still makes that slight sound but it's not like the loud whining noise I've read about. The tv basically starts up for almost a minute then it just shuts down and the lamp never comes on. I followed all of the steps to try and reset the lamp timer but of course no menu of any kind shows up on the screen. I just don't see how you can even reset the lamp timer when the lamp doesn't turn on to display anything. And of course I've been keeping the cover door switch closed the entire time. I just don't know what else to do.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 am

I am guessing something is wrong with the digital board. since it looks like you replaced everything else. only way to know for sure is to have a tech look at it.

LisafUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

alobulfrk

Post by LisafUp » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:01 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”