orldmgjw

Moderator: Angel

Jbobc
Contributor
Contributor

Recurring bulb burnouts and turning on/off by self

Post by Jbobc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:14 am

Greetings all! Hope you can help: Background: Got a Samsung 50" DLP Model HL50A650C1FXZA for Christmas 2008. In September 2009, (about 9 months after getting it) the TV shut off. I actually don't remember the symptoms at that time, but Samsung sent out a repairman who replaced the Lamp, Balast, and "SMPS BP44-01002A" which I think is the power supply, but I'm not sure. The TV worked great and had no problems until November 2009 (about 2 months later) when the same thing happened. This time, the TV shut itself off and on over and over again. Again, the TV was under warranty, so Samsung sent a different repairman who replaced the Lamp, Ballast, and Powerboard. The repairman at the time said that there was something that was making the bulbs burn out prematurely but he wasn't sure what. Now it's happening again, approximately 4 months after the last repair the TV is turning itself off and back on again with an electrical clicking sound around the area where the bulb is located (it seems that according to your forum this sounds like a balast problem, but that's already been replaced twice). The TV will start the clicking, then the TV will shut itself off and restart and continue the cycle until I unplug it. Sometimes I will be able to turn it off with the remote when it comes back on, but usually not. There is no trend as far as how often it will run before turning itself off, sometimes it will be on for hours before it shuts off, sometimes minutes. Of course now the TV is out of warranty and Samsung will not do anything to fix this lemon. Needless to say, it will be my last Samsung product. I replaced the bulb, hoping that would do the trick, but the problem continues. The old bulb was definitely in need of replacement though because much of the filiment was missing and only a small sliver of it was still there and connected. I read a bunch of forums and eliminated the blue pressure switch as an issue by cutting the wires and splicing them together, removing the switch from the circuit entirely. I also took the back off the TV and vacumed out the inside of the cabinet as much as I could reach. There was a substantial amount of dust, but it was fairly clean when I was finished and it didn't solve the problem anyway. So now I'm trying to make the decision as to whether or not the TV is worth putting much money into to fix considering this very bad trend that has been established. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Recurring bulb burnouts and turning on/off by self

Post by ChubbsTech » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Hello Jbobc.
This sound like a very strange case. First all the components that have to do with a ballast & lamp malfunction have been replaced twice. Second you have already cleaned the inside of your TV, so we can rule out dust overheating. There only a few possible explanations I can come up with, but I feel there is no smoking gun for this particular case, so here goes.
Have you ever got a power surge or power outages ever since you got your TV in late 2008? Some times if you don’t have a surge protector installed between your TV & the wall outlet the voltage variation tends to damage internal parts on the TV.
Also when the first technician came in, did he reset the lamp timer? Sometimes they don’t know or they forget to reset it. Here is a link on how to do that: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... ng+Factory
Check if all the fans are working, you never know if one or more are not ventilating the component properly.
Another possible issue might be the thermostat; there is a guide that someone posted late last year: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtop ... mostat+fix
Hope this helps out, and keep us posted on any new developments.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Jbobc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jbobc » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks a million for the prompt reply! We have had a few power outages and I didn't have the TV plugged into a surge protector, so that is a possibility. I don't know about power surges. If this were the case, what parts would be damaged and how could I tell if they were in fact damaged? As far as resetting the lamp timer, I discovered the post on how to reset it last night and went in and did so since I just put a new bulb in a few days ago. I noticed that the timer was only at a little over 1,800 hours, well short of the expected life span of the bulb. It is interesting to note that at 1800 hours, the bulb was definitely in poor shape and ready to be replaced. I know that the last technician reset the timer because he was the one who informed us that something was burning the bulbs out prematurely. Can you think of anything that would cause the bulb itself to burn out pre-maturely like that? Whatever is causing the bulb to go out may also be causing the balast to go out early as well since it was replaced twice. Any idea what might cause that as well? Also, I have checked all of the fans previously and they are working. In fact, I followed the advice of one on line post and put a small fan next to the bulb side of the tv to pull the hot air out of the cabinet, but the tv continued to go off even after that. I did see the post for replacing the thermostat, but I could really use some pictures of what it looks like and could you also recommend a site where I could find a diagram of the tv? I really appreciate your help on this, you guys are great!

Jbobc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jbobc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi All! Last post: Finally at my last straw with this DLP, I decided not to spend another penney on this lemon and called Samsung, gave them the history of the three breakdowns in a little over a year and asked them to do the right thing. To my suprise, the guy filled out a claim and sent it to their executive public relations office. About a week later I heard from another guy from that office who offered me an extended warrantee. I told him that if he fixed this tv, I was certain that it would break again in a few months considering the pattern and asked if they would allow me to put the value of the tv onto a new Samsung tv. I was told that they would have to pro-rate the tv at 20% per year and that they could then apply the assessed value towards a tv that they have in their stock at their warehouse, they currently had one 50" Plasma, but it could be gone the next day and then he would offer me a 46" LCD. He asked me to send him the receipt as soon as possible and they would work it out. To my suprise, and before I had a chance to send the receipt, I received a call from a local warehouse asking when I would like to receive my new 50" plasma tv. I'm happy to say that I received the TV this morning, a beutiful 50" Plasma worth well over the amount of the DLP, and I still haven't sent in the receipt, so I'm thinking they may have just done a one for one swap. NOW HERE'S THE BIG NEWS: the delivery guy told me that there is a huge class action law suit against Samsung and Sharp as well for the DLP TVs and that is probably why they gave me the new TV. SOOOOOOO, if you are having recurring problems with your DLP, it may be worth the effort to call samsung again and ask them POLITELY as I did, to do the right thing. You may be pleasantly suprised! God bless and good luck!

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:31 am

I have one of these tv's. when mine did this I replaced the lamp and the tv worked. I took a look at my power supply and ballast. they had bad looking solder joints so I resoldered them all. I will see how long the new lamp last. If it only last 4 months I am going to be pissed.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 am

maybe the value of the 50" is less from them since it is from the ware house. looks like you may never get billed.

JanefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

orldmgjw

Post by JanefUp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:28 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”