jexghqrk

Moderator: Angel

baseballdude
Contributor
Contributor

HLR5067W POWER SUPPLY OR DIGITAL BOARD PROBLEM?

Post by baseballdude » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 pm

I have a hlr5067w that I bought in 2005. I replaced my first bulb Dec. 2009-about two months later a storm knocked out power at my house, after getting power restored I turned on the tv, it would start to come on then power off, it did this every time I tried turning it on. I gave up on it and put it in a spare room. Went into spare room at least two weeks later, plug it in, turned it on and it came on! Picture looked fine, worked fine for months until another storm knocked out power to the house, did same thing, wouldn't come on at first but if left unplugged for a time it would come back on and look fine. Now, after happening several times in just over a year, it will do the same thing when you unplug from wall. I did alot of research and found that the power supply board or digital board (DMD?) kept coming up as the (possible) problem with other owners of this model. Does anyone have an answer to this mystery?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLR5067W POWER SUPPLY OR DIGITAL BOARD PROBLEM?

Post by grayfox » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello,
wow this TV worked even after 2 blow outs?!! :shock:
nice! ;)
And yes both can be giving you the malfunction, I would recommend replacing the power supply first since it is the one that receives the power surge (and it is a less expensive part than the motherboard DMD).
ImageUnit Foxhound

baseballdude
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baseballdude » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks grayfox-that's what I was thinking on trying. I don't want to sink a fortune into this tv but I can't just give up on it yet-when it works it has a great picture still. Is there any website that you know of where I could get step by step instructions on removing the power supply board? I've found a place that has the board.

Thanks again for your help

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

no unfortunately there is not :( but it is all plug and play :) no cutting or soldering :roll: just a bunch of screws and plugs. 8-)

Make sure you work in a relatively static free environment (not the carpet) and unplug the tv at least an hour before you open it up. Also if you could grab anything that is grounded (steel) before handling the boards, just in case ;)

let me know how it goes!
ImageUnit Foxhound

baseballdude
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baseballdude » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi grayfox,

Well I found a power supply board @ ModusLink PTS-it was on clearance for only $53. Got it delivered the other day, already had the old one pulled out, put in the new one and plugged it in, said a prayer and turned it on- BAM! came right on! Picture was fine, everything looked good. The real test was to turn it off, unplug it and plug it back in (that was always the problem before, not coming back on after unplugging it). So after doing that I turned it back on and I got a picture! The picture had some green lines or bars on it but they disappeared after about 20 seconds. Are the green lines something you would see with a bad dmd board?

As long as I don't unplug it from the wall it should be ok now. Thanks for your help!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

GOOD TO HEAR!!! :D
yes those green bars could have been the DMD board, but if the part was new or refurbished it was probably settling in somehow! :?
Anyways you know where to go if it starts acting up! ;)
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

jexghqrk

Post by SuefUp » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:17 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”