zpfpdfwl

Moderator: Angel

voryzover

Samsung DLP HLN5065W

Post by voryzover » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 am

Hi
My Samsung DLP (HLN5065W).
Background: It is about 10 years old. I changed lamp and color wheel about 3 years back.
I did not reset lamp code back then.

Current problem:
The TV seems to starts fine.
Lamp lights up at start. The big fan behind the lamp does not turn.
TV Responds to commands (on remote and on TV). Color and video looks ok.

Within 1 to 2 mins, the color starts deteriorating- the oceanic blue (normal color screen) turns into a really light blue first, then turns greenish.
Within this time, the TV looses its response, tt does no longer respond to either remote or TV buttons. You can't even shut it down unless it is unplugged from power.

After unplugging, and restarting the TV for the second time, the lamp does not light up. The Fan behind the lamp is still non responsive. This time, the TV goes into three cycles of wait (~ 30 seconds), shut (click) and restart mode. At the end of 3rd cycle, the TV shuts full down (regular TV shutting down noise instead of click)

I have taken out the lamp, inspected it, and could not really anything wrong with it. I have also looked into the color wheel (from the opening behind the lamp) and it looks intact (not broken). I do recall having seen the prior color wheel literally shattered during the 3 years replacement time. Also I do not hear any loud noise at all (at any time), the TV behaves much differently compared to back then, so my feeling is this is not the same color wheel problem - at least this is not a shattered color wheel problem. May be I came across a different failure mode of the color wheel who knows.

Could the lamp not being reset create any problem ? Why does one have to reset it ?
I think I read the lamp hours somewhere around ~22,000 (Can't recall it exactly) when I did mute-1-8-2 power check. However, recall this is not reset, so it is through 2 lamps and close to 10 years.

The Fan (big one behind the lamp) -- is it supposed to turn ON right away at the TV start up OR only when it senses the temp going up ? This fan does not turn at all. It looks to be connected to the ballast.

Where is the temperature sensor supposed to be ?

Thanks and appreciate any help that can be given.
note: LAMP CODE: BP96-00224C (P)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung DLP HLN5065W

Post by grayfox » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I would place my bet on the DMD/light engine given the multiple malfunctions, a cheap way to troubleshoot yourself, would be to try the cheapest first.
That would be the fan, if you have a multimeter to test if it is receiving power, if it is then replace it.
If not then I would try the colorwheel again, if is malfunctioning on any level it can cause most of the symptoms described.
Worst case scenario you buy a light engine and replace the whole DMD for around 300$

btw you can find all these parts at www.discount-merchant.com

hope this helps! ;)
ImageUnit Foxhound

voryzover

Post by voryzover » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure why you think it is DMD however, since in one of the other posts, your reasoning was that if the video did appear fine for even brief time, then the DMD would be fine. In my case, the video looks fine for about a minute. It deteriorates after that initial minute.

In essence, the fundamental question is: Is the Fan supposed to be working when the TV starts up fresh from cold (i.e. say the first operation of the day, so all components are cold) ? If the fan is supposed to be working at the start up (AND it is not in my case), then the fault is
either
a- Fan
b- Temperature Sensor
c- Voltage to the fan

Which component would be the most likely at fault , if this were (c) - Voltage to the Fan ?
Are Fan and Temperature Sensor sold together or separately ?
Can you roughly describe where the temperature sensor is supposed to be ?

thanks so much.
Regards

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

you are correct about the power supply but those are two different distortions :oops:
The Lamp fan should be on at all times the lamp does not take long to heat up :shock: and the thermostat is there to shut down power if it reaches high temps. ;) If it is not receiving power it comes from the power supply board, if it is but not responding then it can be simply the fan. :?:
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

zpfpdfwl

Post by SuefUp » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:31 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”